Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Treasure Map

Every Tuesday, I find treasure. Here’s how I get it:
1.) Start in my room because that’s where everything starts because that’s where I wake up.
2.) Hop on one foot because it’s silly and it would make you laugh, and the ice cream man told me once that laughter is the best medicine there is.
3.) Count to thirty two times while I brush my teeth so I can fight off plaque, which sounds like a duck but is really germs in my mouth. And germs are not treasure.
4.) When Daddy starts the car, I sit in the back behind your seat, because then we can share windows and I can see what you would and tell you what you missed.
5.) Ask Daddy to play “Hey Jude” because it’s your favorite song.
6.) Don’t step on the cracks. I have to be careful, because there’s a million of them on the floor.
7.) Say hi to the man at the desk, because he gives me lollipops.
8.) Wash my hands all the way up to the elbows. Use my fingernails to scrub all the germs, because they’re sneaky and they can hide better than me.
9.) Hold out my arms in front of me so the man in white can put the special gown on me. I like to pretend he’s a knight, and I’m a princess. But instead of saving me, he saves you.
10.) Put on my gloves, even though it isn’t cold. Put on my mask, even though I’m not hiding.
11.) Lie on the bed and hold very still. Don’t cry, even though I’m afraid of needles.
12.) Watch through the glass while he gives you my blood, because after he’s done I can come in and visit you.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be honest, this is not my best work - which isn't to say that I didn't try my best, but I can acknowledge that writing a story in a creative form is probably a weakness of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still, I think the list is a perfectly valid form, and I think you use it in an interesting way here. I'd be interested to know why you think this isn't your best. Overall, maybe it's a little melodramatic, and maybe we'd like the narrator to be a little less idealized, a little less naively charming. But I think the use of second person is a good turn here, and the scene of scrubbing and putting on a gown is kind of creepy and suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.