Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Shot


4 comments:

  1. Apparently when in a time crunch I turn to stories about medical issues? Odd.

    Anyway. I chose to do this project as a form of typography, because I love typography. It was difficult to put a story into this form because while you are formatting it, you have to constantly, constantly rewrite to make adjustments for space. But I enjoy this form of expression because I'm allowed to emphasize certain words and phrases in a way you wouldn't see in a normal paragraph setting. I also like that I can convey what's happening in the shape of the words. In the story, I never say that one character is taking a shot (of HUMIRA, if that matters) but it can be deduced by the shape of the picture that that's what is going on. I'm not sure the writing is the most amazing, but I'm satisfied with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, how did you do this? definitely made a huge impression, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used Illustrator. ^-^ I've done typography before so I went in with experience... otherwise it would have been a lot harder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, very interesting visually. Maybe the shape of the image itself is a bit obvious, but I like what you've done with the typography for sure, and, as you say, the ability to emphasize with size in a way that might seem distracting in a more conventionally formatted piece. Does it matter what the dose is? Kind of. There's the implication that this is a recreational drug here, but also that the shot leads to death, though in both cases, the narrative, such as it is, seems to go against these readings. Maybe the medication itself is less important than the purpose for injecting it, which could be clearer.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.