Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Proven

—Sometimes they're discovered brand new, sometimes they're promising but not wholly proven.
—Sometimes they wash up spent and broken.
—Often they're still capable of training.
—They can be coached, we say. Another glass?
—Is that what you say? You all? All of you?
—Yes, that's it. us. Another glass?
—Us.
—Not you, that is.  "Coached" is not what you say.
—No.
—No. You're not one of us. That's all. Right?
—No.
—No. Anything more?
—Another glass. Another round, as we say.
—Do you? You all? Have it then. Take the bottle.
—We'll enjoy this. Thanks.
—It's the least we could do. When they are proven, when we prove them...and it's a rigorous process, by the way....
—No doubt!
—Yes, and when they come through, they're fantastic. You see?
—Sure. And that's where the bottle comes from.
—Right. Why we developed the special edition.
—The design was expensive?
—You wouldn't believe. The artist was such a prick.
—I heard.
—Did you?
—We did. Word gets around. We work with his wife.
—Girlfriend.
—Wife. Things change.
—Fast.
—As you know.
—Look, if I could do it over....
—That's not necessary.
—I'm sorry.
—Look....
—You can't seem to stop making it necessary.
—...
—...
—Brand spanking new. Brand new new new.
—Okay. Are you ready?
—...
—That guy's stealing that car.
—Where?
—There. Look at him. Those people don't even care.
—There's a talent. Proven, even. Before our eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Eh, what the hell. Last in line? This draft is largely exploration. I was never quite sure how these people were related, whether they were men or women, which is part of the reason it takes them so long to get outside of their conversation to the man outside. I wanted to maintain something of the opening comment, which is why I keep trying to rephrase it, reuse some terms or implications within it. Is this a love affair gone sour? A business deal? Are they separate problems? I'm still not sure. With two minor edits this is word-for-word what I wrote in class, looking for a way in.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.