Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Recipe for a Feeling Like a Loser at a Party

3 Cups of "Oh my gosh, I can't believe she just did that!"
As I'm walking into the party, Courtney takes the keg of beer and just starts chugging. I'm in
culture shock as everyone around me chants her name as loud as they can. She finishes and attempts to throw the empty keg behind her. With droopy eyes and a flushed face, she throws her right hand into the air and yells, "Bring me another round boys!"
2 Cups of "What have I gotten myself into?"
I'm now sitting in a corner of the living room with no one to converse with. I think Brian, who
brought me to the party, has run off with some intoxicated chick. Man, what a douche. I
don't know anyone else here. I look around the living at everyone as they jump around and
smash random pieces of furnature. The couches and love seat have been moved back toward
the wall to make space for dancing. "The party don't start til I walk in", says the music as it
streams through the room. I wish I had that much swagger.
1 Cup of "Where the hell am I supposed to sleep?"
It is now four in the morning and I'm trying to find my way back to the bathroom. The voyage
isn't easy. People I don't know lay passed out on the floor making it difficult to navigate. I
decide to leap, which results in an epic fail. I jump through the air only to land on someone
laying on the floor. "Ah shit you stepped on my leg!" I look over, "Brian? When did you get
here? I can't believe you went off and left me with these-
Just then an angry intoxicated girl marches into the room, looks me up and down, and
orders me to get out of her house. "Where the hell am I supposed to sleep?', I protest.
But she just waves her long finger nails and says, "Honeh dat ain't my problem"
1/2 Cup of jaded
I walk outside into the cool night air and look up at the sky to see the stars. Gravel crunches
beneath my feet as I walk down the driveway to my car. A tall jock and his overly tanned
playmate walk by laughing and swaying but say nothing to me. Feeling like Mr. Cellophane, I
walk to my car and lean up against it for a moment before squatting to sit on the gravel.
Everything is beginning to blur and my head pounds. I drift off to the singing of crickets.

1 comment:

  1. The form I decided to use for this story is a recipe. I think a significant requirement would be to follow in the guidelines of a recipe listing the highest quantity of ingredients first and then going down from there. Also, I think it is important to make sure all the ingredients mix to form something. In relation to the story, I tried to make the ingredients flow together to form the product of a person who is not necessarily a loser, but struggles to fit in with the lifestyle of his "friends".

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.