Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Notepad

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so I may have gotten a little carried away with my story here... I was jotting things down like notes from a psychiatrist's POV and I really liked the way that it looked (being in note form, that is). But when I typed it up, I lost something- without being on a notepad, it wasn't convincing. So I made the background a notepad. Then when it came to the end, I felt that blood was the only way to convey what happened. I have been wrong and over did it, but I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor absent-minded psychiatrist...

    (I really enjoyed it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a fun form, for sure, and the graphic element is pretty cool. I like that the note form allows you to run some parallel narratives (like the call to Dr. Vakarian) in the margin. But, yeah, it feels a bit forced, right? The character is great, but we don't really believe he'd write all of this down, particularly right before being murdered. So one thing to think about is a more nuanced approach, maybe more accurately replicating the kinds of observations this character might make (could he be more cruel, more distracted?). You can also trust the form a bit more, assume that we understand there is a natural ellipsis between the action and the room and the thoughts recorded, which may require some interpretation on our part, and might leave some irresolvable gaps.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.