Friday, September 3, 2010

Humble

-Champagne is sometimes more humble than it should be.

- What the hell does that even mean? If anything, champagne is the over-the-top gaudy feel we’ve been avoiding. Besides, with our budget it wouldn’t even be quality, anyone can put carbonated alcohol in glass bottle and call it champagne these days. And when did you develop such a high class taste in drinks, I thought we’d closed the booze debate?

-Well I want to re-open it. I think champagne would be more appropriate for an event for this caliber, not that I don’t appreciate the MTV Beach Party wet bar that you booked us.

-It’s better suited to our guests, aka our family and friends…

- We would have to buy all the fucking vodka in the world to suit the olive-popping whores you call friends.

- Yeah, okay so how about we throw up a ‘caliber’ keg stand in the middle of the Hilton reception hall. That would much better suit your tastes right?

-I just want this to be quality, alright?

-How is this not fucking quality? We have a string quartet. You ordered doves for Christ’s sake, doves.

-THEY WERE ON SALE. I okayed that decision with you, remember?

-WHILE I WAS DRUNK.

-Still, you said yes.

-You know what? This conversation is over. I have a fitting appointment in fifteen minutes, we already have a booking for alcohol, and you are ridiculous.

-Only 65 more years.

-If you’re lucky.

2 comments:

  1. The part of this exercise that I found most difficult was getting started and building a context in which the quote could have been said; however, once I established the context, I found the dialogue came easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work, Kasey. It's a sensible context for the original line, and I like how you develop the dilemma. I guess one thing I'd like to see is some further indication of the reasons the couple are trying to go budget with the wedding. Surely that's another important aspect to the conflict that's stirred up on the surface.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.