Friday, September 3, 2010

Public Transportation

“The world is much simpler without it.”

“Ain’t that the truth, buddy.”

“Geez, Arnold. I’m sitting right here.”

“But better because of it, of course. That don’t mean it’s easy.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right about that.”

“Valentine’s Day always makes me sick. All the flowers and candy and—disgusting billboards like that one.”

“Look, son, it ain’t as bad as all that. Sounds like you must be havin’ some trouble in the love department.”

“Well just look where it gets you. Look where it’s gotten me. . .sitting in an empty house every night and paying child support out the ass each month.”

“Now, you’re too young to be saying all that, sweetheart. It’s not always like that. . . not if it’s real.”

“Yeah, son, look at me and Charlotte here. Married 43 years and lovin’ every minute of it.”

“Well—“

“Okay, okay. Maybe not every minute. Like I say, it ain’t easy. But that don’t mean you don’t try.”

“I don’t think it’s even worth trying.”

“When you find the right one it will be, darling. I promise. Look at you in your nice suit with your nice leather briefcase. I bet you have a job that a woman would be proud of.”

“I think that’s part of the problem. I want to be loved for who I am, not how much money I make. But that kind of love. . . it doesn’t exist.”

“Don’t be silly, child. It does. Because money comes and goes. Why, we’ve barely had two dimes to rub together our whole marriage. But we’ve made it. So don’t write it off just yet.”

“Yeah. . .”

“Well this is our stop, sweetheart. You take care now. Think about what we've said.”

“I will. Thank you.”

“Good luck, son.”

1 comment:

  1. A good piece. It's a little unclear at the beginning, and the comment on Valentine's Day confuses a bit. I might expect this from the young man in a suit, but it seems like this is coming from someone else. Eventually, though, things sort themselves out. Not sure the young man's manner of speech is consistent throughout yet. His grammar seems a little rough, maybe out of keeping with the suit? But then, once that's mentioned, he seems to snap into more standard English. So might think a bit more about the nuances of individual speech.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.