Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lesson Planning

AIMS/GOALS/OBJECTIVES/CONCEPTS
1. The student will classify—oh hell, who am I kidding? All I want is to get through the day.
2. Maybe the school will catch on fire. Maybe we can go home early.

PREASSESSMENT
1. What do my kids know about The Crucible? Nothing—just what I expect.

PROCEDURES
1. Focus/Review (10 minutes)
a. I’m supposed to relate the material to my students’ background knowledge. Easier said than done when the only thing my kids know about the Salem Witch Trials is that one of those words is one letter removed from what dad screams at mom every night.

2. Lesson Activity (30 minutes)
a. We’ll discuss historical context, or—more accurately—they’ll listen to me talk while they think about where their dinner is going to come from or which boy to screw next.
b. We’ll get through Act One. Barely. I’ll attempt to teach them about John Proctor in between five interruptions from the office and three kids asking to use the bathroom.

3. Assessment (30 minutes)
a. I’ll have them do something about the characters. Probably some worksheet. Not like it matters anyway. Just keep them quiet.

4. Closure (5 minutes)
a. Get them the hell out of here so they’re some other teacher’s problem.
b. Until we do it all over again tomorrow.

RESOURCE/MATERIALS
1. Textbook
2. Some scotch would certainly be helpful.

2 comments:

  1. My form is a Berry College lesson plan. As a rule, it's quite detailed. I stuck to the true structure of the lesson plan but really just parodying it from the standpoint of a frazzled teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work here. The plan provides a great structure for the piece, and the narration tells us a lot about the character, her struggles, and the kids. Another way to go about it would be to eliminate the elements of exposition, such as the question: "What do my kids know about 'The Crucible'?" or the statement, "I'm supposed to relate...." The entries in each section can reveal plenty about the nature of the teacher, students, and expectations of the encounter through their details and tone, without the additional frame of the exposition.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.