Thursday, October 14, 2010

Post Traumatic

At the time of the attack, my little sister and I were playing in the garage with our dogs. My mother came to the door and called us in. She trembled just a little.

“Your father’s alright,” she kept saying. “He’s alright.”

There on the news was his work place, the Pentagon. In the side was a gaping hole—and in it: desks, chairs, rubble. My lungs turned to stone, my throat closed. The sorrow of hundreds of families I had never met was unbearably heavy on me as I thought of the grief my family had narrowly escaped. I studied my hands.

Even though my father was fine, the impression of doom clung to me like smoke after a fire. I jumped at the sound of a phone ringing, and listened hard to the side of conversation I could hear. Whenever someone told me there was bad news, I steeled myself for the worse. The terrorists had stopped for now, but the terror ate at my heart.

Over the years, I learned to push back the fear. You’re paranoid, I told myself. But still I would react with alarming speed to the smallest incidents. A word would set me off, and I would catch myself imagining the grief of a death in the family, or I would get wrapped up in a fantasy of planning a funeral. In desperation, I labeled my visions as a selfish desire to lead a more exciting life. You’re romanticizing death, I tell myself. It’s disgusting. Stop it.

Every time I left them, I wondered if this could be the last time. When I called on a daily basis, I pretended it was homesickness—but in truth I just wanted to know they were okay.

I can’t stop trembling.

2 comments:

  1. It was very, very difficult to pick one moment and narrow it to just one. I kept finding myself writing in another scene, and I had to go back and summarize more. I'm not sure how well it came out, but I'm fairly satisfied with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very nicely done piece, Alyssa. I like the telescoping back and forth, in the early paragraphs, from the personal to the general, and the narrator's self-consciousness is refreshing. You do a nice job of depicting her panic. the last line is great, but I think I still want something more from the penultimate paragraph, a suggestion of a kind of absurd and creative neurosis.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.