It was an inauspicious Tuesday morning. I had forgotten to shave my left leg and unplug the iron, so I was on my way back to my apartment to unplug the iron and keep the building from burning down. I had to stand because the bus was crowded, and honestly all I could think about were the memos that would be on my desk by the time I got back to the office. Needless to say I wasn’t paying attention to my surroundings.
To this day, I still don’t know what it was. It could have been anything, really—a stray dog, a garbage can, or some random kid on a bike—but whatever it was that found its way into the street that morning caused the bus driver to slam on the brakes. I lost my balance and promptly fell onto the guy beside me, snapping my wrist in the process.
The rest of that Tuesday was a blur, but nothing was ever the same. As the bus driver furiously tried to apologize for my misfortune, the man I had fallen on calmly hailed a cab that would take us to the emergency room. He told me jokes as we rode in the cab, and he stayed with me as my wrist was x-rayed and placed in a cast. He made sure I got home safely and asked for my number so he could check on me later. Phone calls turned to dinners, dinners turned to weekends spent watching movies or taking spur of the moment trips to the beach. Exactly a year after we met, he asked me to marry him as we rode the city bus. After all these years, I still make fun of him for being so sentimental, and he still jokes about the day I fell for him.
Or fell into his lap? Nicely done. The tone is breezy and fun in this piece. I just think the end loses a bit of the wacky energy you started with. It's interesting how happy relationships can become so static. Just for kicks, might be interesting to have this relationship go bad after a period of time, maybe because there's some defining preference they can't reconcile. Or maybe a fall and a broken wrist recurs, but maybe its his, or her other one, or the same one again.
ReplyDelete