Wednesday, October 20, 2010

How Does Flying Work?

I rode on that nonexistent liquid that you see when outside and looking into quiet water. Well, you see its reflection- actually, you see a reflection of what’s on the other side of the see-through. No one ever actually sees this stuff. But somehow, that thinness makes complete black look like light blue. That’s why they call it “light” blue, because it float; it acts like fog, which is definitely wetter than the anti-viscous stuff I rode on. And like fog, the closer you get, the more it just seems to disappear. You can see it ahead of you, and after a while, it’s all the sudden behind you, but you swear you never passed through any of it; you still haven’t reached the stuff in front of you. At that point, it’s all around you but never near. Never close enough to touch-

How am I supposed to ride on what water reflects if I can’t see it and only barely feel it, anyway! And by barely, I mean only when it comes down in cones or when water can no longer be held up and so falls in a circular motion that some lamebrain decided to call “tropical” until it hits land. How’s that supposed to work? I can only feel it when it can cause damage? I can only see this stuff, this non-liquid (and most certainly non-solid), when it has potential to hurt me? And then, you still don’t see it, just the dirt it kicks up and the water that’s too heavy to ride like me and so falls.

I’m not sure any of that is worth it... I still don’t even understand how I can ride and water can’t. I mean, I love to ride, but next time I may keep my feet planted.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so I posted this this morning but then had to run to class and haven't been back to a computer since... Anyway, I basically started talking about the properties of air as if I were flying which eventually evolved into a look back at flying. I'd really like see how this might further evolve, learn more about this character that is so uncomfortable with flying yet loves it. But for now, this will do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I really like this piece, too, that it's so dedicated to the description of something we don't really think about in this way, perhaps because we don't experience it like this in normal circumstances. The latter bit almost seems like the narrative of someone who has been carried away (and set down) by a tornado, which is an interesting possibility. But then, given your Superman thing, it seems like the piece could be part of that as well. Superman never really talks very poetically (so far as I know) about being Superman, so maybe this is his opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.